- Protects and extends the life of digital prints
- Water white clear
- Provides scratch resistance, water resistance and some chemical resistance to prints
- Contains UV absorbers to improve outdoor durability of prints
- Excellent adhesion to most ink systems including true solvent, eco solvent and UV cured systems without the need for a primer
- Only suitable for non water sensitive substrates and inks
- This product will sometimes bubble on application. This can be caused by the type of substrate, ink system or the method of application.
- The best methods of application are spraying, paint pad application or brushing.
- Rolling is not recommended because it will agitate the liquid and cause bubbles.
- The laminate is self leveling so it is best to apply on a horizontal surface.
- These are made of a fine fabric attached to foam and are available in
many different sizes and configurations.
- Pour the laminate onto the print and spread it over the surface with the applicator.
- The pad glides over the surface without creating bubbles.
Spraying – HVLP or Conventional
- Use a 2 mm fluid tip and 280 – 420 KPa (40-60psi)
- Apply a light mist coat to seal the print and allow to dry (10 to 20 minutes).
- Apply one or two medium coats to the desired finish.
- Do not shake the bottles of Digi Clear.
- Invert or rotate them a couple of times before use.
- This product dries quickly in temperatures above 20deg C. Addition of the Viponds Digi Clear Retarder will slow the drying to allow longer wet edge (application) time.
- One coat applied at a rate of 16 square metres per litre per coat will give scratch and mar resistance and some solvent resistance
- Two coats is required for any UV protection and a high gloss.
- The success of this product is determined by the level of adhesion to the substrate and ink.
- Generally no surface preparation is required, but if the surface is contaminated then the Universal Digi Clear may not wet the surface and cissing (does not form a continuous film or may form beads on the surface) may occur.
- A second application of the Universal Digi Clear may solve this problem.
- If cissing occurs, a wipe over with a damp cloth prior to application
- It is also important that the ink is completely dry to prevent outgassing. Check with the ink manufacturer for drying specifications.
- Do not apply if the temperature is below 10 deg. C or in high humidity.
- Under normal drying conditions it will be touch dry within 20 minutes and can be recoated after 1 hour.
- Allow at least 2 hours for full cure.
- Allow overnight drying before rolling up prints.
- This product can be forced air dried.
- With the addition of retarder allow longer drying times.
- Universal Digi Clear dries to a gloss finish but the degree of gloss depends on the substrate and the amount of clear applied.
- A lower gloss finish can be obtained by addition of the Digi Clear Matting Agent.
- Addition of matting agent will reduce the exterior durability of the
Clean Up and Thinning:
- If thinning is required use clean water only. Addition of too much water may cause foaming problems.
- Clean equipment with water.
- Methylated spirits will soften Digi Clear and assist clean up.
- The digital print market is continually changing, with new substrates and inks being offered on a regular basis.
- It is therefore recommended that the customer tests the product thoroughly for their own particular application.
- The main test is to check adhesion – Universal Digi Clear forms a very tough film and if the adhesion is not satisfactory then the clear can delaminate from the substrate.
- It is also important to determine the best method of application and film thickness required to achieve the desired properties for the end application.